Herbal Ayurveda Remedy
World's Premier Health Information Site
|Home Remedies | Beauty Tips | Important Ayurveda Tips | Ayurveda for Ailments | Herbs | Ayurveda Treatments | Query|
Africa Rue is a perennial succulent shrub with narrow, pinnately cut leaves and white solitary flowers, growing up to 1 meter but usually not more than 30 cm high. It has white solitary flowers, capsular, spherical fruits and brownish seeds in various shapes
Botanical Name : Peganum Harmala
Family Name : Salanaceae
Common Name : Hermal, Syrian Rue, Peganum harmala, Ispandur, Esphand, Ozallaik.
Part Used : Seeds, and flowers.
Habitat : Dry and sub tropical regions.
Properties of Africa Rue
The seed of Peganum Harmalais ( African rue) contain four alkaloids, harmine, harmaline, harmolol and peganine. The blossoms and stems yield alkaloid peganine identified with 1-peganine. It also has aphrodisiac, analgesic, and anti inflammatory properties.
Uses of Africa Rue
· African rue. Is a ventral nervous system stimulant and is used as an anti depressant.
· African rue beneficial in painful and difficult menstruation and for regulating the menstrual periods.
· African rue help in treating insomnia since its seed have narcotic properties.
· African rue has been found to be very beneficial in treating tapeworm infestation. Due to anthelmintic action in seeds it helps in expelling worms.
· The fruits of African rue (Peganum Harmala) are also the source of a red dye and an oil
· African rue has antibacterial activity and is fairly effective against Protozoans. Its decoction is given for laryngitis. It helps against boldness, period aches, worms and lice.
Other Related Links