Herbal Ayurveda Remedy
World's Premier Health Information Site
|Home Remedies | Beauty Tips | Important Ayurveda Tips | Ayurveda for Ailments | Herbs | Ayurveda Treatments | Query|
Depression occurs in both negative and positive emotions such as excitement, frustration, fear, happiness, anger, sadness, joy etc. Depression is prevalent among all age groups, in almost in any stage. Depression is a mental state characterized by a pessimistic sense of inadequacy and a despondent lack of activity. Some people describe depression as “living in a black hole” or having a feeling of impending doom. However, some depressed people don't feel sad at all—instead, they feel lifeless, empty, and apathetic.
Depression is a mental health disorder in which one feels completely disoriented from life. It is a psychological disorder which involves disturbance in mind and its physiological functioning. It involves the accumulation negative energy around a person’s mind thus disturbs the normal level of mental working. His mental balance gets disturbed and creates unusual thoughtful condition which is not a normal state of mind In short when too much negativity surrounds one; he or she is bound to go in depression. Depression is a severe condition and if not treated on time may lead the sufferer to suicidal state.
Symptoms of Depression
The most common symptoms of depression are:
· Irritability or restlessness. Feeling agitated, restless, or on edge. Your tolerance level is low; everything and everyone gets on your nerves.
· No interest in former hobbies, pastimes, social activities, or sex. You’ve lost your ability to feel joy and pleasure.
· Significant weight loss or gain or appetite disturbance
· Low energy level or chronic tiredness
· Feelings of inadequacy, loss of self-esteem, and/or self-deprecation.
- Staying extremely upset and dull
- Difficulty in mixing and communicating with other people
Causes of Depression
Depression can occur under many circumstances but most commonly causes are:
· The individual has experienced a sudden, perhaps surprising severe loss. This loss may be the death of a loved one, loss of a job, loss of friendship, or other grief process. In this type of depression, the patient can clearly identify what is creating the depressed mood.
· The excessive and indiscriminate use of drugs also leads to faulty assimilation of vitamins and minerals by the body and ultimately causes depression.
· Depression may be caused due to mental stress or due to high intake of antibiotics.
- Disturbance in biochemistry of brain
- Hormonal changes
- Work stress and over load of work
- Hereditary factor may also cause depression
- Vitamin and mineral deficiency may also lead to depressive condition.
Home Remedies for Depression
· The root of asparagus has been found beneficial in the treatment of depression. It is highly nutritious and is used as a herbal medicine for mental disorders. It is a good tonic for the brain and nerves. One or two grams of the powder of the dry root of the plant can be taken once daily.
· Apple is one of the most valuable remedies for mental depression. The various chemical substances present in this fruit such as vitamin B, phosphorus, and potassium help the synthesis of glutamic acid, which controls the wear and tear of nerve cells. The fruit should be taken with milk and honey. This remedy will act as a very effective nerve tonic and recharge the nerves with new energy and life.
· Mix 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg powder with 1 tablespoon of freshly extracted amla juice. Consume this mixture thrice a day.
· In 1 cup of rice milk or soy milk, cook 3-4 tablespoons of oatmeal. Add nuts, almonds, dried fruits, maple syrup or honey to it. this would be effective in curing depression.
· Boil a cup of hot water. Add powdered seeds of 2 green cardamoms and sugar. Drink this when warm. It would help in treating depression.
· Make tea with adding ½ teaspoon of sage and ¼ teaspoon of tulsi in a cup of hot water and drink it twice in a day. This will help to fight with depression.
· Diet is also an important concern for treating depression. Having a well balanced nutritional food is very essential. Eat a lot of nuts, cheese, and apple cider vinegar in a glass of water, pumpkin seeds, carrot juice, apple juice, 5-6 plums, ruta leaves mixed with cumin.
· Taking orange juice in morning is very helpful in relieving from mental strain
Depression Treatment and Advice
· A person suffering from depression can conquer it by being more active, turning away from himself, and diverting his attention towards other people and things. The delight of achieving something overcomes distress or misery.
· Exercise also tones up the body, provides a feeling of accomplishment, and decreases the sense of helplessness and depression.
· The patient must also study the art of relaxation and meditation which will go a long way in curing depression. He must gain control over his nervous system and channelize his mental and touching energies into restful activities.
· The diet of a person suffering from depression should totally exclude tea, coffee, alcohol, chocolate, colas, all white flour products, sugar, food colourings, chemical additives, white rice, and strong condiments.
Other Related Links