Herbal Ayurveda Remedy
World's Premier Health Information Site
|Home Remedies | Beauty Tips | Important Ayurveda Tips | Ayurveda for Ailments | Herbs | Ayurveda Treatments | Query|
Snoring is a rough rattling noise made on inspiration during sleep by vibration of the soft palate (the back of the roof of the mouth) and the uvula (the prominent structure dangling down at the back of the mouth).Snoring may also be defined as on inspiration, air on its way to the lungs visits the tongue, the soft palate, the uvula, and the tonsils. When a person is not sleeping, the muscles in the back of the throat tighten to hold these structures in place and avoid collapsing and vibrating in the airway. When the person is sleeping, the soft palate and uvula vibrates to give sounds of snoring. In simple words, Snoring is the act of respiring via the open mouth so that the currents of inspired and expired air produces vibration of the uvula and soft palate, in order to give rise to a sound more or less harsh.Snoring is mostly unvoluntary, but may be produced voluntarily.
Symptoms of Snoring
Symptoms of Snoring are:
Nasal noise during sleep.
Heavy breathing .
Excessive daytime sleepiness.
Sore throat .
Gasping or choking at night .
High blood pressure.
Causes of Snoring
Some causes of Snoring are described below:
- Mouth anatomy ,overweight ,alcohol consumption ,nasal problems ,deviated nasal septum
- Throat weakness, causing the throat to close during sleep
- Mispositioned jaw, often caused by tension in the muscles
- Fat gathering in and around the throat
- Obstruction in the nasal passageway
- The tissues at the top of airways touching each other causing vibrations
- Relaxants such as alcohol or drugs relaxing throat muscles
- Sleeping on one's back, this may result in the tongue dropping to the back of the mouth.
Home Remedies for Snoring
The most effective home remedy for Snoring are:
- One of the best ways to stop snoring would be to lose weight. This might surprise you, but weight loss reduces and even ends snoring.
- Another way to stop snoring would be to lessen, better stop, smoking. It is said that smoking causes increased nasal congestion and mucous in the throat area.
- Alcohol causes relaxation in the soft tissues and muscles in the throat, leading to snoring. Reducing the intake of alcohol can lessen, or even stop, snoring.
- The ideal posture while sleeping would be on the sides. This would reduce the intensity of sound created while snoring.
- Olive oil is said to reduce snoring. Take 2 to 3 sips of it before going to bed. This would lessen the noise and also stop snoring after some time.
- Follow a regular sleep routine. Sleep at fixed times and get up at the same time. This is believed to reduce snoring.
Snoring Treatment and advice
- Maintain a normal weight to avoid snoring. Follow a strict regime consisting of proper balanced diet and regular exercise.
- Do regular walking or other exercise to breathe better.
- Donít use sleeping pills or sedative antihistamines.
- Do not smoke as tobacco smoke irritates the linings of the nose and throat.
- Also avoid alcohol; at least do not drink 4-5 hours before going to bed.
Other Related Links