Herbal Ayurveda Remedy
World's Premier Health Information Site
|Home Remedies | Beauty Tips | Important Ayurveda Tips | Ayurveda for Ailments | Herbs | Ayurveda Treatments | Query|
A sprain is caused when the ligaments are stretched more than their normal limit or even torn. The tear caused in the ligaments in this manner is called a strain. When muscular and ligament tears take place, it may be necessary to restrict the normal moment and surgery may also be needed. Ankle is the most common part of the body where sprain happens, but the sprain may happen to any joint in the body.
Symptoms of Sprain
The symptoms of sprain include:
Severe joint pain
- Stiffness in the joints
- Trouble in moving
- Stretching or tearing of the ligament
Causes of Sprain
The causes of sprain are:
- Sudden fall
- A forceful blow to the body
- Stepping on an uneven surface
- Lifting heavy objects
- High intensity exercises
- Wearing high heels
- Over stretching of the ligaments
Home Remedies for Sprain
There are home remedies which work wonders for the sprain:
- The most effective way to treat sprain would be to apply cold compress on the area and cover it with a bandage.
- For a foot sprain, the best bet would be to put a tbsp of black coffee in the bandage and wrap the hurt foot with it.
- A simple way to get relief from pain and cure sprain would be to soak the outer leaves of a cabbage in water. Now, wrap the sprained area with these leaves and let them remain there for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a bowl of warm water, put a few drops of lavender oil. Soak the sprained area in this water.
- A popular home remedy for sprain is to massage the area with a mixture of almond oil and garlic oil.
- Chop onions and wrap them in a muslin cloth. Place the cloth on the affected area for sometime.
- In a cup of sunflower oil, mix 1 tsp of camphor oil. Massage the affected area with this oil mixture. It would provide immense relief from the pain.
- Another effective oil combination would comprise of a mixture of 2 tbsp sunflower oil and 1 tbsp turpentine oil. Store this mixture in a glass jar and massage the sprained area with it, on a daily basis.
- An effective way to cure the pain experienced during sprain would be to have lots of pineapple.
- A simple way to cure sprain would be to give the affected area a hot Epsom salt bath.
- In case of immense pain, take a glass of warm milk and add some turmeric powder to it. Have this milk two times a day. It would provide instant relief.
- In a tsp of honey, add 1 tsp of lime juice. Massage this mixture on the affected area to treat sprains.
- Prepare a paste by blending together lime leaves and butter. Apply this paste over the sprained area and leave it there for sometime. This would help heal the sprain.
- To get relief from the pain experienced during sprain, add five drops of thyme oil to your bathing water and have a hot tub bath.
Sprain Treatment and Advice
Healthy diet - keeps muscles strong.
Fall prevention methods - e.g. clean up obstacles, avoid wet areas, etc.
Properly fitting shoes
Warm-up and stretch - before sports or exercise
Protective sports equipment .
Avoid sports/exercise when in pain
Avoid sports/exercise when tired
Avoid running on uneven surfaces.
Other Related Links